to install Windows 10 fresh load!
Note how this page is short, and printable. (2 goals for a simple page
with white backgrounds) (you can also convert my page to PDF easy,
google how to do that.)
The Short version below:
Many sites cover this, but many skip
important details or do not understand BIOS or 36 years of hardware
I will do a list , numbered in proper order. (all things considered) I
will not cover W7, its now too old to bother with or pay good money for
a license, ever. (unless you must)
Before you begin learn what processor you own and have in your PC, (my device manager shows this) (or run PCI-Z or HWinfo32 (both are freed)
If PC runs still, press windows key +R , and type CMD in the box. then OK , in the new box type, wmic cpu (with the 1 space) or type msinfo32 or systeminfo , and enter key, all 3 ways answer the question,"what CPU "
In most cases retire all PCs older than year 2007 or run Linux.
There are only 2 steps, Get the ISO USB stick, boot it and load
it, but we all know there are rules, and pitfalls and thus my short
Do not forget to hammer the space bar (hit any key prompt) or the USB
or CD/DVD will never boot. (and try all USB ports , if one is dead to boot)
- First of all does your OEM PC maker support W10, in many
cases not, or only Win10- 32bit, (64 bit needs GEN 4
or newer CPU In4xxx+, fresh load rules are not same as upgrade rules
- Does MS supports you and the OEM does not ?(say HP does
not as is common older PC's) then there is still hope., read on..
- The some OEM have lack of support, the advanced security features
will not work like finger print readers and other trappings like that or if not needing that or BITlocker, read on.
- Keep in mind at all times you can try W10 for free, for
30days and even regress it back to w7 if you upgraded.
- Next is run HDD tests fully and if SMART tests fail ,
do not load any OS at all now, until the HDD is replace, best way is
buy a SSD drive now. (and a new license for Windows 10 if you have none)
- Okay the HDD /SSD is good 100% next is build the install stick.
- You then backup all your data first
, if your OS is dead, use Linux link just above to do that. (data
means all your text, photos, music, videos, of any kind, including
saved local email.)
- Next is apps, do you have expensive programs
make sure all license keys for same are backed up, including MS OFFICE
or any thing you paid money for, CAD/CAM/CAE, and Video rendering
- I will assume you have no PCs laying about with DVD drive
burner and 1 DVD-R blank disk to make a boot DVD so decide to use USB
- Go MS.com and download the ISO builder. here.
- Do what it says and build the ISO boot Thumb memory drive USB stick, using any modern 2nd PC (aka, USB key, USB pen, or Udisk)
- With the USB STICK in hand walk to the dead PC or one needing Fresh loaded W10.
- Boot the PC by powering it on, with the power button, with the stick in a USB port,(try all ports 1 by 1 if one fails)
- On HP we hit the F9 key BOOT ON THE FLY at power on, hammer it and it shows this windows pop up. (see here for all keys on most PCs that do, boot on the fly mode)
- The PC now boots if you hammer the space bar (it warns, hit
any key too boot USB drive) if the F9 features is missing in
your BIOS, then you must change the boot order next.
- Boot order is in your BIOS, and you move the USB stick to the top of the list.
- If you have PC 2012 year and newer or was W8 or newer it has a new BIOS, and now used UEFI or CSM dual BIOS, you must turn off safe boot and turn on legacy as stated here.
- Windows now loads, and asks questions. I say no to them
all. But that is me. after it loads and runs and reboots, remove
the USB stick NOW.
- Later you can do the Activation. (seen in system page
of control panel or settings +update + activate. Take time you
have 30 days to decide you like W10.
- If you can not find a driver for a chip, then replace it, you can buy dirt cheap ,USB Ethernet dongle or wifi dongle and sound USB devices, if a desktop vast numbers of PCI-express cards can be added to get a device working.
The Core processors, are best, like I5-4xxx gen 4 and up are best, for 64bit W10.
Any thing less than CORE is Banta fodder.(yoda said ?)
Note most old PCs made back int the years 2000 up to 2004 can not boot, USB devices. Relics of the past but see my page on this old junk PC's.
version 1. 8-8-2018 (as short as can make it.