How to solve a dead PC? ( Do the long hard reset first or the short 10second power button push?)
You see a black box and magic inside,but...
I see 20 modules inside that can fail or 1-billion + transistors to fail or the OS windows? is infected.
We test hardware first (on DELL PC , BIOS F1 hot key and click Diagnostics.
PC's over 5 years old fail for 2 common reasons, (besides WinDoz infected)
Step one on any Laptop/Notepad made is to remove the huge battery first
and run on AC power pack along, even forever... <worse is a shorted
- Both batteries are now dead, the big one and the tiny (RTC
coin cell) seen here.RTC battery
- HDD bad, laptops love to die for this at only 5 years old, (SSD not)
Bad sounding noises:
- My PC Died
diagnostic flow chart is here: (testing in the
correct order is key to success and hardware is 1st)
- A simple Dead BIOS flow
- A Dead Desktop Monitor diagnostic flow
chart. (VGA/HDMI/DVI/DP) See 2001-2010 dead CCFL LCD back lamp tests.
- See the flow chart of a typical monitor the inside
major firmware logic.
- The PC is overheating? (why and cures and why this makes any PC slow or stalls dead) and all cures.
- Why Windows 10 installs fail, (HDD not bad) Outdated PC's. or does not like your very old IGPU/GPU (the cure is here)
- Dead PC strip down testing. (if any module shorts the PC goes dead)
- How to test any suspected HDD ,or how to use an external HDD, and last how to run demo Linux to test any HDD or How to backup data.
- What to do if you lost your Passwords (not Wifi). BIOS and the OS. (with relic Toshiba jumper secrets)
- My two Dell PCs, 3020MT and E6540, problems solved and support links. Both have on board ePSA diagnostics !(F12)
- Why does Windows 10 fail to install or seems to, but
many key chips are dead, (Sound, WiFi , or iGPU) is dead ,weak ,or
lame. (See intels answer)
Running a CPU with no fan or heat-sink,
it burns up. ( new PC's shut down 'Intel Inside"™ magic ends the smoke P4 and newer.)
- Bad NOISE heard here.?
- Beeps (RTM read your manual
for what they mean as seen only on OLD PCs) Newer PCs do LED blink
codes or text errors not beeps today.
- Standing too close to
Matthew Broderick (War-Games 1983') << joking here...
My PC is slow now why?, well all PCs do that with age. (lots of causes see them here)
Drivers 101: (short) (facts of life)
The order is PnP fails, then OEM support fails and last chip maker driver fails , doomed.
- The driver must match the OS, if windows 10 , must be supported by your OEM PC maker (like Dell/HP/ACER/Lenovo,etc) "Free too"
- The driver also may be supported by Microsoft PnP, see PCI page link just above for how to...
- The driver missing (and not above ) must be supported by the chip makers web site, if not?, sorry there is none.
- If super lucky and only a W7 driver exists, it may load ok using w7 to W10 compatiblity mode.
SITE links on topic dead PC.
To diagnose any PC, use a
simple flow chart after replacing the batteries first. ( or these famous gems)
is this ASUS.com Desktop trouble-shooter.(no power on at all, no
boot or no post and no display)
Rule #1 first, Software does no run on bad hardware, so learn to
bark up the hardware tree first. RUN DIAGNOSTICS first.
Certified (no GMO , no fat, no
sugar , and is 100% Gluten free, zero spam, zero tracking and zero
explotations here, even Kungflu free !)
Rated by: and YMMV and "Faster than the Speed of Dark"